Recipe by LadyKatarina
This recipe helped catch me a man! My now husband and I worked together, and he would make a regular stop at my desk to "steal" these delicious and addictive pretzels from my candy jar...his comment "Wow, these pretzels are delicious, but they give you Dragon Breath!" is the origin of the name. The rest is history. Possible variations of the recipe below: Variation: Mix in one or both of the following with step 1: 1/4 teaspoons lemon pepper. 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Alternative: Use 16 oz. plain oyster crackers instead of pretzels. Bake at 275 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring after 10 minutes. Drain and cool on brown paper bag or paper towels before storing.
Top Review by Susie D
I couldn't find the butter flavored oil so just used a reduced amount of oil. The pretzels are well seasoned and addictive. I know I'll be making these again! Made for Spring 2010 Pick A Chef.
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup butter-flavored popcorn oil (Orville's Butter Flavor Popping & Topping Oil found in popcorn aisle)
- 1 (1 ounce) envelope hidden valley ranch dressing mix (unprepared)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dill weed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2 lbs pretzels (whole, if using regular small pretzels, or broken into small pieces if using sour dough pretzels)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix first 5 ingredients until well blended.
- Place broken pretzels or small pretzels in a gallon size ziplock bag.
- Pour oil/dressing mix over pretzels, seal bag and shake until pretzels are very well coated.
- Pour coated pretzels onto foil lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 250 degrees for 30 minutes (if using sour dough pretzels) or 20 minutes (for regular small pretzel twists), stirring every 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool, store in ziplock bag.