This recipe helped catch me a man! My now husband and I worked together, and he would make a regular stop at my desk to "steal" these delicious and addictive pretzels from my candy jar...his comment "Wow, these pretzels are delicious, but they give you Dragon Breath!" is the origin of the name. The rest is history. Possible variations of the recipe below: Variation: Mix in one or both of the following with step 1: 1/4 teaspoons lemon pepper. 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Alternative: Use 16 oz. plain oyster crackers instead of pretzels. Bake at 275 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring after 10 minutes. Drain and cool on brown paper bag or paper towels before storing.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup butter-flavored popcorn oil (Orville's Butter Flavor Popping & Topping Oil found in popcorn aisle)
- 1 (1 ounce) envelope hidden valley ranch dressing mix (unprepared)
- 3/4 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 lbs pretzels (whole, if using regular small pretzels, or broken into small pieces if using sour dough pretzels)
- 1Mix first 5 ingredients until well blended.
- 2Place broken pretzels or small pretzels in a gallon size ziplock bag.
- 3Pour oil/dressing mix over pretzels, seal bag and shake until pretzels are very well coated.
- 4Pour coated pretzels onto foil lined baking sheet.
- 5Bake at 250 degrees for 30 minutes (if using sour dough pretzels) or 20 minutes (for regular small pretzel twists), stirring every 10 minutes.
- 6Allow to cool, store in ziplock bag.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dragon Breath Pretzels
Serving Size: 1 (49 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 222.4
- Calories from Fat 71
- Total Fat 7.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 578.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 4.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
hidden valley ranch dressing mix