Recipe by themomma
Beware, this recipe has been known to stop kisses for days!!! If you don't want the hassle of roasting the garlic, purchase the already minced kind and use appropriate amount.
Top Review by Chef Mom0'3
I got the original recipe from cooking light as well. This is a family favorite! Here are my tweaks: for the garlic I use 1 head of roasted (for the mellow garlic flavor) and a few cloves of minced garlic (for some spice and more intense garlic flavor). I also use 1/2 t hot pepper flakes. For the sausage I remove casings and brown in the oven in the baking dish I will be using (saves on dishes to clean). When you get to the step for finishing the sauce I add the garlic and blend with an immersion blender to break up the garlic throughout the sauce, then add the cheeses. I also like to add a small pkg of (cooked) frozen chopped spinach squeezed dry to sneak in some green.
- 2 whole garlic heads
- 1 lb sweet sausage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 2⁄3 cup swiss cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 16 ounces cooked penne pasta
Directions See How It's Made
- Roast garlic heads in 350 degree oven, wrapped in foil, for one hour.
- Separate cloves and squeeze to extract garlic pulp.
- Discard skins.
- Cook sausage in large nonstick skillet over medium heat until browned, stirring to crumble.
- Rinse in colander to remove excess fat.
- Place in large bowl and stir in sage and rosemary.
- Melt butter in saucepan.
- Add flour, stirring with a whisk.
- Gradually add the milk; cook until slightly thick, stirring constantly with the whisk (about 10 minutes.) Stir in roasted garlic, cheeses, salt and pepper until just melted.
- Remove from heat.
- Mix with cooked pasta and either spoon into greased one 13X9 or two 8X8 pans (cover with foil and freeze up to 3 months).
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.