Recipe by zoe,owen,andliams mommy
This is probably one of the best banana breads that I have made. Native to the Caribbean and Central America, bananas are one of America's favorite fruits. They are rich in potassium - one banana contains 450 mg of potassium, one-fifth of the adult daily requirement - and offer a fair share of magnesium (33 mg), too. In addition, bananas help to strengthen the stomach lining and are good for soothing indigestion. Most banana bread recipes are saturated with butter and sugar. This one uses a small amount of canola oil instead - which is much better for your heart - and honey, which of course means lots of flavor. Don't use regular whole-wheat flour. It is too heavy for this recipe. Look for whole-wheat pastry flour instead
Top Review by beautynbeyond
This is by far THE best banana bread recipe BAR NONE!!! It is absolutely the easiest to make with the very few ingredients it has. Also, LOVE LOVE LOVE that it has NOT sugar in it, although both my kids can't get enough of this and it might be because I put chocolate chips in it - YUM!!! I get a lot of compliments on this recipe and I don't add the nuts. We are not nut people. I also make this gluten free with Bob's gluten free flour. I just replace the flour in equal parts! My gluten free members of the family say it's one of the best gluten free items they have every had. Try this recipe - I truly know you won't be disappointed!!!
- 3 very ripe bananas
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons expeller-pressed canola oil, plus a little more for oiling the loaf pan
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup chopped walnuts or 3⁄4 cup pecans
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oven to 350°F Lightly oil a 9" x 5" loaf pan.
- Mash the bananas and mix with the honey, canola oil and vanilla extract.
- Stir together the whole-wheat pastry flour, baking soda and salt. Add the nuts.
- Blend the wet and dry mixtures together and spoon into the loaf pan.
- Bake for about 40 minutes, or until the center is set.
- Cool slightly in the pan, then remove and finish cooling on a wire rack.