Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A tasty and easy meat sauce to whip up without making a whole tomato sauce.
- 2 2⁄3 ounces bacon (2 strips)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1⁄8 cup fresh parsley
- 6 leaves fresh basil
- 3 leaves fresh basil, chopped
- 3⁄4 lb ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 fresh onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 28 ounces tomato sauce (Classico Tomato & Basil works well)
- 1 teaspoon sugar (unless jar sauce is already very sweet)
- Mince bacon, garlic, parsley, and 6 basil leaves in food processor.
- Heat oil in sauce/sauté pan over medium high heat, and fry the minced mixture until lightly browned.
- Add ground beef and 1 tsp cayenne pepper and cook until brown.
- Add jar of tomato sauce and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add onion, oregano, chopped basil, and 1 tsp cayenne pepper, and reduce to low heat.
- Simmer for 90 minutes, stirring occasionally.