Prep 5 hrs
Cook 20 mins
Maybe it's me, but I find the cooking time very short. This is from a 1965 fundraising cookbook for Toronto's Women's College Hospital.
- 1 (2 lb) roasting chickens
- 1 large onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 inch fresh gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup yogurt
- 1 tablespoon yogurt
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon garam masala (substitute allspice if it cannot be found)
- Clean the chicken; keep it whole but do not truss.
- Make 3 or 4 cuts on each side of the bird.
- Grind the onion, garlic and ginger to a paste; add to it the coriander, cumin, chili and salt.
- Beat the yogurt (1/2 cup+ 1 tbsp) in a bowl and add the paste, vinegar, Worcestershire and the juice of 1 lemon.
- Mix thoroughly and rub on chicken; marinate the chicken for 4 to 5 hours.
- If possible, cook chicken on a barbecue rotary spit; otherwise, roast in a moderate oven for 20 minutes or until the chicken is tender (yes, that's the time the recipe states).
- Brush with melted butter, sprinkle with garam masala and lemon juice and serve.