Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This recipe is from Cook's Country. I have never tried a recipe from them that is not "perfect"!
- 1⁄2 cup Dr. Pepper cola
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 bone-in half ham, preferably shank end (7 to 10 pounds)
- 1 oven cooking bag
- Bring Dr. Pepper, sugar, orange juice, and mustard to boil in medium saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until mixture is syrupy and measures 3/4 cup, about 10 minutes. (Glaze can be refrigerated for several days; reheat when needed.).
- Remove ham from packaging and discard plastic disk that covers bone. Place ham in plastic oven bag, tie bag shut. Set ham cut side down in 13 by 9-inch baking dish and cut 4 slits in top of bag. Let stand at room temperature for 1 1/2 hours.
- Heat oven to 250 degrees. Bake ham until center registers about 100 degrees on instant-read thermometer, 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours (about 14 minutes per pound) , depending on weight of ham.
- Remove ham from oven and roll back sides of bag to expose ham. Brush ham liberally with glaze and return to oven briefly until glaze becomes sticky, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven, brush entire ham again with glaze, loosely cover with foil, and let rest for 30 to 40 minutes before carving.
Really good! I trimmed an 8.5 pound ham shank of most all fat then cooked in the bag at 325 for 2 hours 40 minutes (roughly 20 min/pound). Glazed and followed remaining instructions. Easy and ham stayed moist, glaze was delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
This is how my mom always made ham. 1 can of Dr. Pepper, followed by the other ingredients. You really can't go wrong with this recipe, or make it any easier.