Recipe by Cookin'withGas
Here's the 3rd entry in our 'cooking-with-soda pop' collection...Serve with baked potatoes and steamed veggies for a nice meal!
- 1 cup Dr. Pepper cola (NOT diet)
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon powder (dissolves easier)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 lbs pork, a boneless roast
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl, combine Dr Pepper, Worcestershire, vinegar, garlic, bouillon, mustard, chili powder and red pepper flakes. Save 1/2 cup of this for sauce.
- Place meat and onions into crockpot and pour the remaining sauce over the meat (NOT the reserved 1/2 cup sauce).
- Cover and cook on LOW for 10-12 hours or on HIGH for 5-6 hours; Transfer to serving platter and let 'settle' 10 min, before slicing.
- While the meat 'settles', in a small pan combine reserved 1/2 cup sauce, catsup and butter; Heat through; this is your 'gravy'.
- NOTE: never use the diet version of any soda for this recipe; the artificial sweetner breaks down badly when heated and will ruin the meal.