Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
A family favorite!
Top Review by flower7
These are really excellent! A little soupier than I prefer but that's just me. I did not add the kielbasa as I was making these as a side for pork chops, or the cheese & crumbs though I may add a little cheese to the top when reheating leftovers later. These are nicely tangy and pleasantly spiced. Thanks very much for the recipe!
- 2 lbs kielbasa, cut into 1/4 inch rounds (or your favorite sausage)
- 1 3⁄4 cups Dr. Pepper cola, divided
- 4 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) bottleof good-quality ketchup (I use Heinz)
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 small onion
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 lb cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 375 degrees.
- Butter a 3-qt baking dish.
- Heat a skillet over med heat with 1 tbsp oil.
- Add sausage, and 3/4 cup Dr Pepper drink; bring to boil.
- Cover; and lower the heat.
- Continue cooking about 30 mins, until Dr Pepper becomes syrupy.
- Drain the pinto beans; place in a large saucepan, add 1 cup Dr Pepper, ketchup, wine vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce, soy sauce, garlic, onion and salt.
- Bring to simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Season with black pepper.
- Pour into a 3-qt buttered baking dish.
- Stir in sausage mixture.
- Top with cheese and bread crumbs.
- Bake, covered for 40 mins, or until cheese is melted, and mixture is bubbling.