Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Spicy, tangy beans. Very different and one of my favs. Use a slotted spoon while serving as this recipe produces a lot of "juice".
- 453.59 g can pork and beans, drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium tomatoes, chopped or 396.89 g can diced tomatoes
- 118.29 ml brown sugar, firmly packed
- 118.29 ml Dr. Pepper cola
- 0.59 ml ground cloves
- Drain pork and beans well. Pour beans into casserole dish.Fold in onions, tomato, and green peppers.
- In separate bowl mix brown sugar, Dr. Pepper, and cloves till sugar is dissolved. Pour over beans.
- Cover and bake at 350°F for 30 minutes.
This was rated as excellent by the baked bean snobs in my crew. A different flavor without being too strange. The cook time should be substantially higher, (I cooked it for 60 mins) as it does concentrate the flavor and reduce the liquid. All in all a great addition to summer potluck fare!