Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
Okay, so our family doctor suggested this instead of prescription cough syrup for relieving the cold symptoms of the ADULTS in our family (he of course, did NOT suggest it as a CURE). He says the whisky helps you sleep while the honey and lemon soothe your throat. I'm pretty sure it works, but in the end we really don't care because we love this warm drink when we aren't feeling well. Even sometimes when we are feeling well! UPDATE: Our beloved Dr. Pat passed away November 19,2010 at the age of 59 from Melanoma so now this recipe with all of it's great reviews is even more special to our family. We will miss you forever Pat!!!
- 2 ounces whiskey (we use Jack Daniels)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 4 ounces water (hot from the tap)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (we use the stuff in the plastic lemon)
- 1 slice fresh lemon (if we don't have this we don't use it) (optional)
- Place the whisky in a large microwave safe mug.
- Add the honey.
- Pour the hot water into the mug over the spoon you used for the honey to get off the last little drops.
- Add the lemon juice and stir well.
- Place the mug in the microwave for 1 minute or until it is piping hot, but not boiling.
- Add the lemon slice and serve.
A friend of mine swears by fireball (cinnamon) whiskey to knock out a bad cold. It's powerful stuff but in my opinion took the typical hot toddy up a notch! Not sure it really cures a cold but it sure makes it a more enjoyable experience. ;)
My mom used to make these when she was sick with a head cold or chest cold all the time. She swore by it and it was her family recipe as well. Great one for relief- a guarenteed way to sleep through the night.
Just what the doctor ordered..I used Glenfiddich and was probably a little heavy handed on the whisky but being a good Scottish girl its how my Granda would expect me to have it. Cheers!