Recipe by PeacefulPlanet1
This recipe came from the Dr. Oz Show aired on 1/6/13, presenting the Dr. Oz 2 Week Rapid Weight Loss Diet.
Top Review by Nicest of the damned
I made this broth last week. Frankly, I was worried I would have another cabbage diet soup on my hands (yuck!) However, for a basic veggie broth, this stuff tastes really, really good! The ginger is key for best flavor, I added a bit more garlic and used a beet for my root veggie, I felt it gave it a more beef-broth look and feel. I could drink this all day - really! Don't feel bad about tossing the colorless mush left over. It has little nutrients left in it and besides, it's what compost bins crave. Thanks for posting!
- 3 quarts water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 cup winter squash, cut into large cubes
- 1 cup turnips or 1 cup parsnips or 1 cup rutabaga, for sweetness
- 2 cups chopped greens (kale, parsley, beet greens, collard greens, chard, dandelion)
- 2 celery ribs
- 1⁄2 cup cabbage
- 4 slices fresh ginger
- 2 whole garlic cloves (not chopped or crushed)
- sea salt (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Add all the ingredients at once and place on a low boil for approximately 60 minutes. It may take a little longer. Simply continue to boil to taste.
- Cool, strain (throw out the cooked vegetables), and store in a large, tightly-sealed glass container in the fridge.
- Heat gently and drink up to 3 to 4 cups a day.