Recipe by biggestmuff
Here's a bodybuilding recipe. It's called Dr. Johns' Chili and was created by John Berardi and Dr. John Williams for their Gourmet Nutrition book.
- 4 lbs extra lean ground beef (96%)
- 4 (15 1/2 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 lb carrot, peeled and sliced
- 4 bell peppers, 1 green 1 red, 1 yellow, 1 orange, cut into 1/2-inch squares
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 (46 fluid ounce) vegetable juice, spicy hot
- 1⁄2 cup cashew meal
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, brown the ground beef, one pound at a time, over high heat together with the garlic and onions. If your skillet or wok is large enough, you can brown the beef all at once to save time. On the last batch, add the spices after the beef is browned and continue frying for another couple of minutes.
- Add the browned beef to a very large pot with a lid, and then add the beans, tomatoes, carrots, peppers, and V8 juice. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer. To make the cashew meal, process the cashews in a blender in short bursts, until a grainy meal is formed. Don't process for too long or you'll have cashew butter. Stir in the cashew meal, cover, and simmer for an additional 30 minutes. Makes 10 servings.