1/1 Photo of Dr. Jim's Tomato-Peach & Pear Chutney
5 hrs 15 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Chef Joey Z.'s Note:
This recipe requires that you boil your jars and lids in preparation for canning. You will need 4 pint size glass jars. Once the chutney is in the sterilized jars they should be processed for 5 minutes in a hot water bath. Please note, I didn't include the time for the canning in this recipe. Back in 2000 I lived with my sister and her hubby up in Canada. In the fall we got together and made this recipe. We spent a whole day preparing the ingredients and cooking it up. Since I helped out I got a couple of jars of this delicious chutney. Its about the best I've ever tasted.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs tomatoes (peeled)
- 2 peaches (peeled and pitted)
- 2 lbs ripe pears (peeled and cored)
- 2 large green peppers (seeded and chopped)
- 2 cups brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3 dashes Tabasco sauce (or to taste)
- 1 (4 ounce) jar diced pimentos
- 1Dice the tomatoes, peaches and pears; you should have about 8 cups total.
- 2Place the peaches and pears in a 5 quart pot along with the peppers, sugar, vinegar, salt, ginger, mustard and Tabasco.
- 3Bring to a boil over high heat.
- 4Stir in the tomatoes, reduce the heat to medium and boil gently, uncovered and stirring often, until mixture thickens slightly. About 1 hour.
- 5Stir in the pimentos.
- 6Boil gently, uncovered and stirring often until thickened. About 10-15 minutes.
- 7Put into prepared canning jars and store in a cool place.
- 8I doubt this chutney will last long, so you might want to make more.
- 9Bon Appetit!
Browse Our Top Jams and Preserves Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Jams and Preserves Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dr. Jim's Tomato-Peach & Pear Chutney
Serving Size: 1 (406 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 329.6
- Calories from Fat 6
- Total Fat 0.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 609.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 82.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.4 g
- Sugars 72.1 g
- Protein 2.4 g