Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Based on a recipe from Dr. Joel Fuhrman’s nutritarian handbook, Eat Right America. This is the updated version of another one posted on food.com; I like this one better because it includes kale as well as adjustments to the other ingredients. Dr. Fuhrman says, “Juice carrots and celery in a juice extractor. Fresh juiced organic carrots are necessary to maximize the flavor of this soup”. I use both my Jack Lalanne juicer for the carrots and celery and my blender. The recipe says you can use a combo of peas/beans although I stick with the split peas because I love them so much. Since the resulting soup is not “pretty”, I garnished with a dollop of fat free plain yogurt and chopped parsley. Nutritional info per serving: calories 304; protein 14 g; carbohydrate 52 g; total fat 7 g; saturated fat 1 g; cholesterol 0 mg; and sodium 135 mg.
- 1 cup dried split peas or 1 cup dried beans
- 4 cups water
- 4 medium onions, left whole with paper skins removed and ends cut off
- 6 -10 medium zucchini, left whole with ends cut off
- 3 leeks, stalks left whole and sliced lengthwise in order to wash thoroughly
- 2 bunches kale or 2 bunches collard greens or 2 bunches other greens, chopped, tough stems and center ribs cut off and discarded
- 5 lbs organic carrots (4-5 cups juice)
- 2 bunches organic celery (2 cups juice)
- 2 tablespoons sodium-free seasoning (such as Dr. Fuhrman's VegiZest) or 2 tablespoons Mrs. Dash seasoning mix
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 8 ounces mushrooms, chopped (shiitake, cremini and or or oyster)
- Add beans and water to very large pot over low heat.
- Add whole onions, whole zucchini and whole leeks to the pot along with chopped kale. Stir in carrot juice, celery juice and VegiZest or Mrs. Dash.
- Simmer about 20 minutes until onions, leeks, and zucchini soften. Transfer the soft onions, zucchini, and leeks from the pot to a blender along with some of the liquid from the pot. Completely blend or puree the vegetables. Add more soup liquid and the cashews to the mixture, and blend inches Return the creamy vegetable mixture back to the pot.
- Add the mushrooms and simmer another 30 minutes or until beans are soft.