Recipe by Mirj
A perfect meal for Samantha and Endora. I think even Darren would like it (but just the old Darren, not the new Darren).
Top Review by love4culinary
Oh, Mirj... Oh! This was SUCH a fabulous meal! I served this as the main dish for my fiance's birthday along with 3 other dishes and Naan.. we really loved this! I increased the amount of curry powder a bit to our tastes, but other than that followed it to the "T". This was the first time Ive had butternut squash in a recipe like this, and it was a FABULOUS addition to the recipe! THANKS! I will be making this again......and again, and AGAIN!!! :)))
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 4 small potatoes or 4 small turnips, cut into wedges
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled,seeded and cubed
- 3 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 lemon, juice of
- parsley or fresh cilantro stem (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion begins to wilt, about 3 minutes.
- Turn the heat to high, add the garlic, carrots and potatoes or turnips.
- Season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables begin to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the ginger and curry powder.
- Add the butternut squash, canned tomatoes and chicken pieces and stir to combine.
- Adjust the heat so that the mixture simmers slowly and place a lid, slightly ajar, over the skillet.
- Simmer for 15 minutes or until the chicken is completely cooked.
- Add the lemon juice and adjust the salt and pepper to taste.
- This can be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Serve in warm bowls garnished with parsley or cilantro sprigs.
- Goes well with Basmati rice.