Downeast Maine Pumpkin Bread, Low-Fat
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease and flour three 7x3 inch loaf pans, two 8x5 loaf pans, or two regular sized muffin pans.
- Toast pecans in a dry non-stick skillet over medium-low heat until light golden-brown and fragrant. Spread out on a plate and set aside to cool.
- In the work bowl of a stand mixer, combine pumpkin puree, eggs, oil, applesauce, vanilla and sugar. Mix on medium-low until well-blended.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, salt, and spices. Reserve 1/3 cup of dry mixture. Add remainder to mixer a few large spoonsful at a time and mix on low until almost combined; a few streaks of flour should remain. Remove bowl from mixer base.
- Toss cooled nuts and raisins with reserved dry mixture. Sprinkle over the top of the batter and fold in with a spatula until well-mixed.
- Divide evenly between prepared pans. (If using muffin cups, fill each 2/3 full.) Bake in preheated oven; muffins will need about 40-45 minutes (start checking at 30 minutes). Small loaves will need 50-55 minutes, large loaves 60-70 minutes. All are done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.