Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a very moist bread and actually even tastes better the day after it has been baked.
Make and share this Downeast Maine Pumpkin Bread recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour three 7x3 inch loaf pans.
- In a large bowl, mix together pumpkin puree, eggs, oil, water and sugar until well blended.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture until just blended.
- Pour into the prepared pans.
- Bake for about 50 minutes in the preheated oven.
- Loaves are done when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
i love this bread. i changed the sugar to 1/2 white and 1/2 brown and make this with 3/4 cooked, mashed carrots to 1/4 pumpkin and it came out great too. the kids liked it better with the carrots than they did with all pumpkin. either way, you can't go wrong. this is a recipe you can play with!
I can't say how often I make this recipe- I'm shocked I had not rated it until now! I LOVE this, as do so many of my friends now! I make a few changes, but not many! I use a cup of applesauce and cut the sugar and oil by 1/2 cup each. I also increase the pumpkin by two cans (get those veggies in!) sometimes, and when I do I cut the oil to 1/3 cup and the water to 1/2 cup.
This was my first attempt. Loved it. I did however use fresh (sugar) pumpkin that I had roasted the night before. Absolutely delicious!!