- 1⁄4 lb salt pork, diced (use bacon if you can't find salt pork)
- 2 onions, peeled and sliced
- 3 cups potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 4 cups boiling water
- 3 lbs cod or 3 lbs haddock, cut into small pieces
- 1 3⁄4 cups evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry salt pork slowly in soup pot.
- Add sliced onions and cook five minutes.
- Add cubed potatoes, boiling water, and fish.
- Simmer slowly until potatoes are soft.
- Add evaporated milk, salt, pepper, and minced parsley.
- In a small skillet, melt butter.
- Add flour, blend thoroughly and cook.
- Add slowly to chowder, stirring until slightly thickened.
- Heat for another five minutes.
- Serve with pilot crackers.