Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
1999 Grand Prize winner, Build a Better Burger Contest; Julie DeMatteo, Clementon, New Jersey
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup diced ripe mango
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground pork
- 2 tablespoons sauvignon blanc wine
- 2 tablespoons Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 4 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 4 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 4 slices sweet onions (1/2-inch thick)
- 4 seeded sandwich buns, split
- 1 bunch watercress, large stems discarded
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill with a cover, or preheat a gas grill to medium-high.
- Make the mayo: combine all of the ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth.
- Make the patties: combine the pork, Sauvignon Blanc, pepper sauce, panko, garlic, ginger, curry powder, salt, and allspice in a big bowl; mix well.
- Divide mixture into 4 equal portions and form the portions into patties to fit the rolls.
- When the grill is ready, brush grill rack with vegetable oil; place the patties on the rack, cover , and cook, turning once, until done to preference, 4-5 minutes on each side for medium.
- While the patties are cooking, place the onions on the grill rack and cook until golden brown and crisp-tender, 2-3 minutes per side.
- During the last few minutes of cooking, place the rolls, cut side down, on the outer edges of the rack to toast lightly.
- Assemble the burgers: on each roll bottom, place a patty, an equal portion of the mayo, an onion slice, and a generous amount of water cress; add roll tops and serve.