Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Three cheers for this recipe - It's easy, nourishing, and best of all DELICIOUS! Filled with lentils, vegetables and smoked sausage, this is a hearty soup that is the perfect choice when you are short on time - It cooks in under an hour. Reach for your Dutch oven to make this soup tonight; then ladle up a bowlful of tummy-satisfying comfort food.
- 1 cup dry lentils
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup dry red wine
- 5 cups water
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons fresh sage, snipped
- crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- 10 ounces fully-cooked smoked link sausage, sliced diagonally
- freshly grated parmesan cheese, for serving
- fresh parsley, snipped (Garnish)
- Pick through the lentils and discard any stones; wash and drain.
- To a large 6-quart Dutch oven heat the olive oil over a medium flame. Once hot, add the bell pepper, carrots, celery, onion, tomato and salt; sweat until the onions are translucent, approximately 5 to 6 minutes. Add the wine and simmer the mixture, until liquid is reduced by half.
- Add the next seven (7) ingredients; give a good stir. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the lentils are tender.
- Stir in the cooked sausage; heat through.
- Ladle soup into warmed soup bowls and garnish with parsley. Serve with Parmesan, warm crusty Italian bread and a freshly tossed green salad.