Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I am not usually a big Shepherd's Pie fan, but I came upon this recipe one year, when looking for a recipe to use leftover prime rib, and it turned out delicious! It tasted just like a good, old-fashioned down home dish!! I will make this every year after making my traditional prime rib Christmas Dinner, or anytime that I have leftover beef and mashed potatoes. It is truly a cut-above most Shepherd's Pie recipes!
- 2 cups leftover prime rib roast or 2 cups roast beef, diced
- 2 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 2 cups beef gravy (leftover or made from mix) or 2 cups beef gravy (leftover or made from mix)
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup cooked carrot, sliced
- 1 cup frozen cooked peas
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper
- shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Saute onions in butter over medium heat, until tender.
- Add beef, carrots, peas, and gravy.
- Heat thru.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour into baking dish.
- Add egg yolk to mashed potatoes and beat well.
- Spoon potatoes over beef and veggie mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes, adding sprinkled shredded cheddar cheese on top for last 15 minutes of baking.
- Bake until potatoes are nice and brown and gravy is bubbling.
If you used canned veggies, be sure not to add salt to this. I made that mistake, and it was too salty even for a salt-oholic like me. Other than that, it was great. I used a 9x13 dish (size wasn't specified), and even though I had more than 2c potatoes, it wasn't enough to sufficiently cover the mixture. I used about 1c of shredded cheddar, and that was a good amount. Instead of carrots and peas, I used gr beans and corn (didn't feel like cooking up 1/2 c carrot just for the dish). A good meal, and a great way to use up leftovers.