Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
I have tried so many potato salad recipes, but (most of) my family still prefers mine...so I am posting it in case somebody else might like it too! These ingredients are staples at my house and yes, this recipe has a lot of ingredients, but easy to throw together and so worth it. You can leave out what you need to, but try to make it as stated because it's a flavor party! I used my food processor to simplify the prep. Sometimes I like to only use honey mustard and mayo instead of the dijon and yellow mustard and that lends a less mustardy flavor and is more sweet. Just a variation. I make this potato salad with my deviled eggs because they both use a lot of the same ingredients....in fact, I regularly add the leftover deviled egg mixture to the tater salad too...I think it makes the whole thing more creamy.
- 7 -8 medium red potatoes, skin on
- 4 eggs, divided
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely sliced (without leaves)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dill weed, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄2 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon turmeric (gives potato salad beautiful yellow color)
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes, ground
- 1⁄2 cup sweet pickle juice
- 1 cup light mayonnaise
- 4 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon prepared Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey mustard dressing
- salt and pepper (I used 1 tsp of each)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon parsley flakes, crushed (for garnish)
- Wash and cube potatoes (skin-on), putting into large soup pot as they are cut. Cover with water to one inch above potatoes. Bring to a boil then reduce heat so potatoes only simmer for 20 minutes or until cubes are crisp-tender. You don't want them too mushy or too hard. Remove from heat and drain. Put potatoes into medium large bowl. Set aside.
- In a seperate saucepan, cover 4 eggs with water and bring to boil. Turn heat off, leave pan on hot burner and cover pan. Set a timer for 12 minutes. Prepare a bowl of ice water big enough to hold the four eggs. When the eggs have set for 15 minutes, remove from hot water, rinse and immerse in ice water until cooled, then peel, cut in half. Remove yolks and reserve. Chop or slice egg whites and add to potatoes.
- Chop veggies (I chop and slice these by hand), gather spices and other ingredients while potatoes and eggs are cooking.
- In food processor or blender (or bowl to use with hand blender or mixer, place egg yolks, plus (ingredients #6-#16) dill weed, garlic powder, celery seeds, dry mustard, turmeric (gives potato salad beautiful color,parsley flakes, sweet pickle juice,light mayo, prepared yellow mustard, prepared dijon mustard & honey mustard salad dressing. Pulse a few times until well blended. Scrape blade and bowl clean and empty contents into the bowl with the potato salad and egg whites.
- Gently stir and add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with more crushed parsley flakes. Chill, if desired in refridgerator. I like it room temp, hubby likes it cold. Prep time does not include time to chill.
I omitted the water chesnuts and used a bit less mustard. The salad was very good and a nice change of pace from my usual