Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Found this vegan recipe in the As You Like It Cookbook, 2001, along with its regular counterpart.
Make and share this Down Home Pancakes (Vegan) recipe from Food.com.
- 236.59 ml whole wheat flour
- 118.29 ml unbleached white flour
- 118.29 ml oat flour
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml ground cinnamon
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 1.23 ml sea salt
- 295.73 ml water
- 177.44 ml soymilk
- 14.79 ml flax seed meal
- 14.79 ml pure maple syrup
- 14.79 ml canola oil
- 29.58 ml canola oil (yes, again)
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda & salt, then set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk together the water, soy milk, flax meal, maple syrup & just 1 tablespoon of canola oil, blending well.
- Pour wet ingredients into the flour mixture, & mix together with a wooden spoon.
- Heat the 2 tablespoons of canola oil in a large frying pan over medium heat.
- For each pancake, pour 1/2 cup of batter into the frying pan & spread into a 4-inch circle, then cook about 1 1/2 minutes, or until the tops are bubbly & the edges are dry.
- Using a spatula, turn the pancakes over & cook for another minute, or until the bottoms are golden brown.
- Serve hot with the topping of your choice.
These pancakes are truly wonderful! They are soft and spongy with a great taste! Mmm, we could not stop eating these and devoured the entire batch. :)
I decided to leave some of the oats whole and that added a nice texture to the pancakes. As I was out of flaxseeds I used some potato starch to help bind everything. Like Magpie I used rice milk, which worked like a charm.
THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing a true keeper with us, Syd!
Made and reviewed for 1-2-3-Hit Wonders December 2010.
Delicious pancakes! Great batter, love that it uses ww & oat. The cinnamon flavour with our maple syrup is fantastic, my children are really enjoying them. I had to sub rice milk because that's all I had open, but I can see that thicker soy milk would have been better. Still, they're light and tasty, this is a keeper! Thanks Syd....June2010 Veg*n Swap.