Recipe by Sydney Mike
Found this vegan recipe in the As You Like It Cookbook, 2001, along with its regular counterpart.
Top Review by Lalaloula
These pancakes are truly wonderful! They are soft and spongy with a great taste! Mmm, we could not stop eating these and devoured the entire batch. :)
I decided to leave some of the oats whole and that added a nice texture to the pancakes. As I was out of flaxseeds I used some potato starch to help bind everything. Like Magpie I used rice milk, which worked like a charm.
THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing a true keeper with us, Syd!
Made and reviewed for 1-2-3-Hit Wonders December 2010.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup unbleached white flour
- 1⁄2 cup oat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup soymilk
- 1 tablespoon flax seed meal
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons canola oil (yes, again)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda & salt, then set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk together the water, soy milk, flax meal, maple syrup & just 1 tablespoon of canola oil, blending well.
- Pour wet ingredients into the flour mixture, & mix together with a wooden spoon.
- Heat the 2 tablespoons of canola oil in a large frying pan over medium heat.
- For each pancake, pour 1/2 cup of batter into the frying pan & spread into a 4-inch circle, then cook about 1 1/2 minutes, or until the tops are bubbly & the edges are dry.
- Using a spatula, turn the pancakes over & cook for another minute, or until the bottoms are golden brown.
- Serve hot with the topping of your choice.