Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Found this vegan recipe in the As You Like It Cookbook, 2001, along with its regular counterpart.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup unbleached white flour
- 1⁄2 cup oat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup soymilk
- 1 tablespoon flax seed meal
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons canola oil (yes, again)
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda & salt, then set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk together the water, soy milk, flax meal, maple syrup & just 1 tablespoon of canola oil, blending well.
- Pour wet ingredients into the flour mixture, & mix together with a wooden spoon.
- Heat the 2 tablespoons of canola oil in a large frying pan over medium heat.
- For each pancake, pour 1/2 cup of batter into the frying pan & spread into a 4-inch circle, then cook about 1 1/2 minutes, or until the tops are bubbly & the edges are dry.
- Using a spatula, turn the pancakes over & cook for another minute, or until the bottoms are golden brown.
- Serve hot with the topping of your choice.
These pancakes are truly wonderful! They are soft and spongy with a great taste! Mmm, we could not stop eating these and devoured the entire batch. :)
I decided to leave some of the oats whole and that added a nice texture to the pancakes. As I was out of flaxseeds I used some potato starch to help bind everything. Like Magpie I used rice milk, which worked like a charm.
THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing a true keeper with us, Syd!
Made and reviewed for 1-2-3-Hit Wonders December 2010.
Delicious pancakes! Great batter, love that it uses ww & oat. The cinnamon flavour with our maple syrup is fantastic, my children are really enjoying them. I had to sub rice milk because that's all I had open, but I can see that thicker soy milk would have been better. Still, they're light and tasty, this is a keeper! Thanks Syd....June2010 Veg*n Swap.