Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
After making this my husband won't eat anything else. I changed to fat free milk Kraft reduced fat Shredded Cheddar and Velveeta light. Great to make when you have to bring a dish, and the leftovers are even better especially when mixed with cooked ground beef or tuna.
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, divided
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups nonfat milk
- 1⁄4 lb Velveeta reduced fat cheese product, cut up
- 1 (8 ounce) package reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 cups elbow macaroni, cooked, drained
- 2 tablespoons seasoned dry bread crumbs
- Melt 3 tablespoons of the butter in a large sauceman on low heat. Blend in flour and salt; cook and stir 1 minute. Gradually add milk; cook stirring constantly, until thickened. Add prepared cheese product and 1 1/2 cups of the shredded cheese; stir in macaroni.
- Pour into lightly greased 1 1/2 quart casserole. Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle casserole with remaining 1/2 cup cheese and bread crumb mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
I love this recipe! One of my friends is so hard to please when it comes to Mac and Cheese and now he won't eat anything else! I used Ritz cracker crumbs (10 crackers?) mixed with 2T butter for topping (instead of bread crumbs). I used the broiler to lightly brown the top of the casserole. Thanks for posting!