Prep 3 hrs
Cook 20 mins
Adapted from In the Kitchen with David
- 4 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce (optional)
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground pepper
- 3 -4 lbs chicken, cut up into 8 pieces
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- To make the brine, whisk together the ingredients in a dish shallow enough to hold the chicken in a single layer. Add the chicken pieces, cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours. ( I did it overnight) Turn the chicken once while marinating.
- To make Chicken.
- Pour the chicken into a colander and allow the brine to drain.
- Place the flour, thyme, marjoram, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne, salt and black pepper in a resealable bag.
- Put two to three pieces of chicken in the bag, close and shake well to coat.
- Remove the chicken from the flour and shake off any excess.
- Repeat with the remaining chicken.
- Place chicken on a wire rack while heating the oil.
- Heat 2 to 2½ inches of oil in a heavy duty cast iron skillet or other large skillet.
- The skillet should be large enough to hold the chicken in a single layer without touching.
- Add the chicken to the hot oil and cook for 7 to 9 minutes.
- Using tongs turn the chicken and cook for another 7 to 9 minutes.
- Remove the chicken and drain on paper towels.
- Let the chicken rest 5 to 10 minutes before serving.