Recipe by Vicki Q
This is rich & satisfying, and can be as varied as the side dishes served with it. Have plenty of warm tortillas on hand, along with rice, beans, diced onion, shredded cheese, and/or sour cream. This feeds a crowd, or is great to freeze for another yummy meal or two.
Top Review by Khandi Howard
I made this chili today. It was very good. Sounded a little strange with the peanut butter and chocolate, but my whole family liked it a lot. My personal preference is chili made from chili grind ground meat, but I froze these leftovers to use in soft tacos. This chili recipe will make fantastic soft tacos or enchilada filling. I made this in the crockpot as the recipe advised and it came out perfect. I added an extra onion, a little less chili peppers because I didn't have all of them called for (I added a little extra seasoning to make up the difference), but I basically followed the recipe. Was a cinch to make. It does make a lot. It filled my 6 qt crockpot about 3/4ths full. Good recipe.
- 8 lbs chuck roast
- 1 lb bacon
- 10 garlic cloves, minced and crushed
- 2 tablespoons red jalapeno chiles, chopped
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Mexican oregano
- 8 whole chiles de arbol
- 1 teaspoon crushed chili pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 minced new mexico chili pods
- 1 large yellow onion, minced
- 6 tablespoons hot Mexican chili powder
- 1 tablespoon hot paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice the roasts in half thickness and rub with 2 tablespoons of the chili powder.
- Sear the roasts over medium high grill, 5 minutes per side.
- Cut the roasts into 1 inch cubes and place in crockpot.
- In skillet, fry bacon slices over medium heat until crisp, and drain on paper towels.
- Crumble bacon into small pieces and add to crockpot.
- Drain off almost all bacon drippings and return skillet to heat.
- Add onion and garlic to skillet and saute over medium high heat for 5 minutes.
- Add to crockpot with tomato sauce, jalapeno, chocolate, peanut butter, oregano, chili de arbol, minced chili pods, crushed chili pepper, cumin, paprika, and remainder of chili powder.
- Set on low heat and simmer 6 hours, stirring occasionally.