Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
A cooking light recipe with chicken, potato, and greens. Sounds like comfort food to me!
Make and share this Down-Home Chicken Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups diced peeled baking potatoes
- 1 cup diced peeled turnip
- 2 (16 ounce) cans chicken broth, divided
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 cups leeks, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 4 cups torn winter greens or 4 cups turnip greens
- 3⁄4 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- Combine 1 cup potato, turnips, and 1 can of broth in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 8 minutes.
- Combine potato mixture and milk in blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Heat butter in large heavy saucepan over medium-low heat. Add leek, thyme and garlic. Cook 12 minutes until leek is tender.
- Add 1 cup of potato, 1 can of broth, and carrot. Cover and simmer 8 minutes.
- Stir in greens and chicken. Cover and simmer another 12 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
- Stir in potato puree, vinegar, pepper sauce, salt, and pepper. Simmer, uncovered, a further 6 minutes.
Oh my, this was good. I subbed parsnip for the turnip, since that is our favorite root veggie, and it permeated the stew with such a wonderful flavor. I used fresh thyme, less salt, and made this in the crock pot with the chicken breasts uncut (I still sauteed the leeks and added the pureed part and greens toward the end of cooking). Fed 3 as a very yummy main course.
This was truly delish, and DH was most emphatic that this one should be given a 5! I loved the use of turnips here. I used an onion instead of leeks, some green beans and zucchini instead of all carrot, and spinach for the greens because I had them on hand. Served with Cornbread, this made for a perfect meal on a chilly winter night. Thanks for posting! Made for Newest Zaar Tag.