Recipe by Greeny4444
I got this recipe from my mother-in-law, and she got it from her mother in Oklahoma. It tastes great, and it is a great addition to any get together. Note: We have tried making this with Splenda substituted for the sugar, and it alters the texture dramatically - to do this is *not* recommended.
- 2 cups sugar
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 6 large eggs, beaten
- 4 cups milk
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- vanilla wafer (I like to use Nilla)
- banana (3-4 large)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine sugar and flour with a wire whisk in a heavy saucepan until completely smooth (no flour clumps).
- Whisk in eggs and milk, until thoroughly combined, getting out as many lumps as possible. Add butter (a cold square of butter is fine - it will melt).
- Heat over medium-low heat and stir continuously until pudding reaches a thick consistency. This should take about 30-35 minutes (the pudding should drip off the whisk in individual clumps, not one long string. And, if left unstirred, it will immediately bubble slowly, looking much like “The Bog of Eternal Stench” from the movie Labyrinth).
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Layer pudding, wafers, and sliced bananas, and end with a pudding layer (I use a 12 cup #4 Rubbermaid tupperware container for this - it fits perfectly).
- Decorate the top with vanilla wafers, if desired.