Recipe by Annacia
This is really tasty plus it has the blessing of being able to cut sugar and fat for us diabetic sorts. Simply replace the eggs with Eggbeaters, the milk with skim milk and the brown sugar with Splenda Brown Sugar substitute.
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 slices bread, cubed (a good quality Italian bread works nicely)
- 4 very ripe bananas, mashed
- grated lemon peel
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk eggs, milk, sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, and vanilla extract.
- Add bread and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the bananas.
- Grease a 1 1/2-quart casserole.
- Add the bread mixture.
- Place the dish in a larger baking pan and add hot water until it reaches 1 1/2 inches up the sides of the inside pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 50 minutes.
- Remove the casserole from the water and allow to cool on a wire rack for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with lemon peel.