Cook1 hr 30 mins
A delicious Maine Hermit recipe that I have been making for years. Moist and just the right mixture of spices and raisins. Great with coffee and for dunking! You might be thinking--Where is down east? To Mainers, down east is down in the most eastern part of Maine. To others in the country, down east IS Maine.
- Mix together thoroughly--shortening, brown sugar, and eggs.
- Blend in the cold coffee.
- Mix in the flour, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon.
- Add in the raisins and walnuts--mix well.
- Chill 1 hour.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 8-10 minutes or until set--just until when touched lightly with fingertip, almost no print remains.
- Do not overbake.