Recipe by Bluenoser
Your friends will enjoy the flavour of this simple chowder
Top Review by windy_moon
This has to be one of the easiest "from scratch" soups I've ever made. Followed the instructions pretty much completely -- used Hanover Frozen Sweet Corn (thawed) because fresh corn wasn't available and I don't care for canned. When it came to the blending step, I was able to use my Braun hand blender * right in the crockpot *, and then proceed. Didn't even have to dirty another dish! * The end result was tasty, but was missing some flavor or richness I couldn't quite put my finger on. Next time I do this recipe, I'm going to try half and half or at least some heavy cream, and perhaps add a bit of bacon or some other flavoring toward the end. * Excellent method, thank you so much for sharing!
- 3 cups fresh corn, cut from cob or 2 (16 ounce) cans whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup margarine or 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 dash ground mace
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine corn, potatoes, onion, seasoned salt, pepper and broth in crock pot.
- Cover and cook low 7-9 hours.
- Pour into blender or food processor and puree til almost smooth.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight or return to cooker.
- Stir in milk and margarine (or butter).
- Cook on HIGH one hour.
- Pour hot chowder into bowls.
- Sprinkle with mace.