Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe is from Redclyffe Shore Motor Inn & Dining Room, Robbinston, Maine.
Make and share this Down East Corn Bread recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 425°F Grease a 9x9 inche metal baking pan.
- In large bowl, combine first 6 ingredients. In medium bowl, whisk buttermilk, oil, and egg until blended; stir into cornmeal mixture just until moistened.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cut cornbread into 9 squares.
For me this is Wow!! I am ditching the other corn bread recipes and keeping only this one on hand. This is my favorite cornbread recipe because it uses such a tiny bit of flour. Majority of recipe is cornmeal. What a difference in flavor and texture. Serve with sweetened butter ( just a dab) and in my opinion, you have the truly perfect cornbread. Love, Love, Love this!!!
Yum!!!! Delicious!!! And so wonderfully moist!
I want to take this corn bread recipe down the alter and marry it. It was good and very easy to make. I want to eat the whole pan to myself. I put some yummy butter and honey on it and it made my whole day.