Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
If you have a hunter in the family, you might have a freezer full of dove. This recipe is from a good cookbook I've been working with call Serving San Antonio, which is published by the Assistance League of San Antonio. I hope one of you 'zaar-sters will try it in a slow cooker at some point and write that in a review.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 12 doves, dressed
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) can beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- hot cooked noodles or cooked rice
- Combine the flour, salt and pepper in a large zip-top bag and shake to blend. Add the doves and shake to coat.
- Melt the butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the doves and cook until browned, turning once.
- Place the doves in a lightly greased 9x13-inch baking dish. Sprinkle the celery, onion and peppers evenly over the doves. Add the broth. Cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 11/2 hours at 350 degrees. Pour the wine over the doves and bake, covered, for 30 minutes longer. Serve with noodles or rice.