A classic fish dish with a touch of whimsy from the flavor center of the universe, Louisiana. Courtesy of Chef Kevin Graham of New Orleans' Windsor Court Hotel, as featured in The Louisiana New Garde television series. .
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 lbs sole (4 1-pound fish) or 4 lbs flounder, cleaned and scaled (4 1-pound fish)
- 4 cups fish stock or 4 cups clam juice
- 4 fresh fennel, sprigs
- olive oil, for frying (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup capers, drained
- salt and pepper, to taste (freshly ground is best)
- 1For the beurre blanc: cook the shallots and wine over high heat in a medium saucepan until the wine has reduced nearly completely.
- 2Reduce heat; add cream and cook until reduced to a very small amount.
- 3Whisk in butter, one piece at a time until completely blended.
- 4Strain sauce and keep warm over warm water.
- 5Skin the fish and remove heads; filet away from the ribs, leaving the meat attached at the tail.
- 6Add head, skin and ribs to fish stock.
- 7Cut each fileted side into 8 lengthwise strips.
- 8Bring the stock or clam juice to a boil in large saucepan; reduce to a simmer.
- 9Gently lower the fish by the tail into the liquid.
- 10As the fish cooks, the strips should curl slightly; cook for about two minutes.
- 11Gently remove fish from pan and drain on absorbent paper; keep warm.
- 12Heat olive oil to 350F in a small pan; cook fennel sprigs until crisp (about two minutes).
- 13Remove from pan and drain on absorbent paper.
- 14Season the fish to taste with salt and pepper.
- 15Arrange each fish attractively on warmed serving plates.
- 16Sprinkle with capers and garnish with fried fennel.
- 17Pour warm beurre blanc around the outside of the fish.
Browse Our Top Sole and Flounder Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Sole and Flounder Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dover Sole Medusa
Serving Size: 1 (1163 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1239.4
- Calories from Fat 821
- Total Fat 91.2 g
- Saturated Fat 53.0 g
- Cholesterol 430.7 mg
- Sodium 2114.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.5 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 66.9 g