Recipe by Mary Baker
This dish is a favorite among our friends. We use fresh tomatoes and basil from our own organic garden beds, and we serve dinner outside in the shade of 100-year-old walnut trees near the winery. From "Fresh from Dover Canyon"
Top Review by Cookin-jo
Lovely pasta salad! I followed the recipe omitting the avacado and using basil. After tasting the dressing I thought only 1 Tbsp of balsamic vinegar was not nearly enough and added quite a bit more. I also added some sliced red onion. I think next time I would add more vegetables and maybe some garlic to the dressing but the basic flavours in this salad are great. Thank you!
- 1 (12 ounce) package rotelle pasta or 1 (12 ounce) package rotini pasta (Rotelli is more traditional, but we’ve also used penne and small rigatoni—anything with a twisted or)
- 1 dash sea salt
- 2 cups tomatoes or 2 cups yellow tomatoes, cubed
- 2 avocados, pitted and cubed (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup basil leaves, torn into 1/2 inch pieces
- 4 ounces parmigiano-reggiano cheese, coarsely grated (We like Reggiano/Parmesan for this salad because it’s slightly salty and adds a lot of flavor, but y)
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs (oregano, chives, or basil)
- 1 dash sea salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large stockpot, bring 8 cups of water and a dash of sea salt to a boil.
- Add the pasta and cook over medium heat according to package directions until al dente, 8 to 12 minutes.
- Remove from heat, rinse pasta with cold water and drain thoroughly.
- Allow to cool.
- In a large, attractive bowl, gently combine the pasta, roma tomatoes, avocado, basil and grated Reggiano/Parmesan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar and herbs.
- Pour over the pasta salad and toss gently.
- Cover with plastic wrap and allow to marinate in the refrigerator for at least half an hour.
- Toss again before serving.
- Wine suggestion: Anything from a chilled sauvignon blanc to a mellow white like chardonnay or pinot blanc would go with the light, creamy flavors of this pasta salad, or try gently spicy reds like pinot noir and sangiovese.