1/2 Photos of Dousha Bao/Jjinbbang/Steamed Red Bean Bun
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Emily Han's Note:
This is a recipe for a steamed, sweet white bun filled with red bean paste. Delicious, delicious, delicious! In Korea they are known as Jjinbbang and are sold by street vendors. This version is a little bit lighter and less chewy than my favorite street vendor, but I'll figure it out soon :) Adapted from the Fresh Loaf. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 11. Set aside the red bean paste.
- 22. Combine all ingredients except yeast and water, in large bowl.
- 33. Mix yeast and lukewarm water briskly, and pour into mix.
- 44. Mix and knead dough. Dough should stick together well and be pliable, use more milk if necessary to wet the dough. Knead for 10-12 minutes by hand, or about half with a machine.
- 55. Put in a round shape in bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let sit for 1 hour.
- 66. Divide dough into about 12 pieces, or change size to fit your needs and your steamer.
- 77. Let dough pieces rest for a couple of minutes before flattening into a round shape to fill.
- 88. Place about 1T filling in the center of each bun, bringing up the corners and twisting closed. Place knot side down on a piece of parchment paper or wax paper inside your steamer.
- 99. Boil water and place steamer inches Let steam for about 15 minutes. Buns will turn white and look slightly shiny on the outside. Remove from steamer and serve immediately.
- 10Note: This dough may be used to make bbq pork buns or even plain buns if you'd like, it's not overly sweet. For a fun change, press a knife down the middle to make an indent before the bun is steamed. Shape a little leaf out of extra dough and put it on top. When the buns cool slightly, paint the top of the bun pink and the leaf green -- a peach bun!
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dousha Bao/Jjinbbang/Steamed Red Bean Bun
Serving Size: 1 (57 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 146.4
- Calories from Fat 14
- Total Fat 1.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 3.9 mg
- Sodium 28.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 3.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
red bean paste