Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Contributed to the FareShare Gazette by Doug Irvine.
Make and share this Doug's Turkey Enchiladas recipe from Food.com.
- 8 flour tortillas (10-inch)
- 2 cups cooked turkey, shredded
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 8 ounces aged cheddar cheese, grated
Red Chile Sauce
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 2 tablespoons red ground chili powder
- 2 tablespoons commercial chili powder
- 2 tablespoons flour or 2 tablespoons masa harina flour, if you have it
- 2 cups water or 2 cups chicken stock
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- Melt shortening, add chile powders, flour, spices, and mix well.
- while heating.
- Add stock or water, and blend while cooking.
- Let this simmer for about ten or fifteen minutes, and keep it warm.
- while making the enchiladas.
- Simmer onion, garlic and tomatoes in a little oil, until onion is.
- Add green chiles, and cook until reduced to about half of the volume, taste for seasoning and add salt & pepper to taste.
- Add the turkey and simmer for about 5 - 10 minutes, or until.
- further reduced.
- You do not want this mixture too wet.
- Warm tortillas to make them pliable, then fill each one with a couple.
- of tablespoons of filling, and roll up.
- Place the finished enchiladas in a greased shallow pan, large enough to hold eight, and cover with some of the Red Chile sauce.
- Put the cheese on top of this, and add more red sauce.
- Bake uncovered at 350F for about 10 minutes or a little longer.