Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
These are really tasty. I tend to glaze them in a mixture of butter, honey, and icing sugar.
- 5 (8 g) packages yeast
- 1⁄4 cup water, 105 degrees
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk, scalded then cooled to lukewarm
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 5 cups flour
- vegetable oil, for frying
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in 2-1/2-quart bowl.
- Add milk,salt,eggs, shortening and 2 cups flour.
- Beat on low for 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly.
- Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Stir in remaining flour until smooth.
- Cover and let rise until double, 50-60 minutes.
- Turn dough onto floured surface; roll around lightly to coat with flour.
- Gently roll dough 1/2-inch thick with floured rolling pin.
- Cut with floured doughnut cutter.
- Cover and let rise until double, 30-40 minutes.
- Heat vegetable oil in deep fryer to 350 degrees.
- Slide doughnuts into hot oil with wide spatula.
- Turn doughnuts as they rise to the surface.
- Fry until golden brown, about 1 minute on each side.
- Remove carefully from oil (do not prick surface); drain.
- Glaze or ice warm doughnuts as desired.