Recipe by CoffeeMom
This is the original Crisco doughnuts recipe. I found it in an ad in the October 1916 issue of American Cookery. Cooking time is per doughnut.
Top Review by bluturtl1428
yummy, fast and easy, this was a relatively quick breakfast for something different and all 4 kids asked for it to be a regular. i did let my oil get a little too hot ( we have VERY sensitive smoke detectors, they go off with eggs) but even then they were really good. thanks for sharing i love these recipes that come from old cook books.
- 3 teaspoons Crisco shortening
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg or 1⁄2 teaspoon mace or 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream sugar and shortening together. Add beaten eggs.
- Mix and sift dry ingredients.
- Add alternately with milk to the first mixture. Mixture should be very soft.
- Form into a ball, place on a well floured board and roll to one-half inch thickness. Cut and fry in hot oil.