Recipe by dojemi
This is a great muffin for kids (young or old) who don't want a lot of "stuff" in their muffins. With its basic sugar-cinnamon-nutmeg flavor, it's more reminiscent of a plain doughnut (without the deep-fat frying) than anything else. As plain as can be but try sprucing it up a bit with the additions of dried fruit and/or nuts to the batter.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 -1 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, to taste
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 2⁄3 cups king arthur unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 3 tablespoons cinnamon sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 425°F
- Lightly grease a standard muffin tin. Or line with 12 paper or silicone muffin cups, and grease the cups with non-stick vegetable oil spray; this will ensure that they peel off the muffins nicely.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, cream together the butter, vegetable oil, and sugars till smooth.
- Add the eggs, beating to combine.
- Stir in the baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, salt, and vanilla.
- Stir the flour into the butter mixture alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour and making sure everything is thoroughly combined.
- Spoon the batter evenly into the prepared pan, filling the cups nearly full.
- Bake the muffins for 15 to 17 minutes, or until they're a pale golden brown and a cake tester inserted into the middle of one of the center muffins comes out clean.
- Remove them from the oven, and let them cool for a couple of minutes, or until you can handle them. While they're cooling, melt the butter for the topping (this is easily done in the microwave).
- Use a pastry brush to paint the top of each muffin with the butter, then sprinkle with the cinnamon-sugar. Or simply dip the tops of muffins into the melted butter, then roll in the cinnamon-sugar.
- Serve warm, or cool on a rack and wrap airtight. Store for a day or so at room temperature.