Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
In 'Nigella Express' by Nigella Lawson;
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup whole milk
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 slices white bread (if loaf is large, cut 2 slices in half)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- Beat the eggs with the milk and vanilla in a wide shallow bowl.
- Soak the bread halves in the egg mixture for 5 minutes a side.
- Heat the butter and a drop of oil in a skillet; fry the egg-soaked bread until golden and scorched in parts on both sides.
- Put the sugar onto a plate; dredge the cooked bread until coated like a sugared doughnut.