Recipe by meedeeter
For all tomato soup lovers. I haven't actually tried this, but I love tomato soup. Take from "Souped Up!" and so far I love most of the recipes in this book.
Top Review by I'm Christy
Made this over the weekend from Recipes from the Night Kitchen (my favorite soup recipe book) as Triple Tomato, adding sliced cherry tomatoes as a garnish at the end. Delicious! Most of the recipes from the book I used are included in Souped Up! (Sally Nirenberg apparently became Sally Sampson) but there are additional recipes in Souped Up! so I'm probably going to get that book as well. Thanks for posting!
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 large Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1 celery, peeled and sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 (28 ounce) can Italian tomatoes, chopped
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon brown sugar
- 5 sun-dried tomatoes
Directions See How It's Made
- Place a heavy-bottomed stockpot over medium heat and, when it is hot, add the butter. When the butter has melted, add the onion, garlic, celery, and curry powder and cook, covered, until vegetables are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and their juices, stock, basil, and brown sugar, raise the heat to high and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to low and cook, partially covered, 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove the solids and place in a blender. Add the sun-dried tomatoes and process until completely smooth. Gradually return to the cooking liquid. Serve immediately or refrigerate up to three days.
- To freeze: Prepare soup as directed. Allow to cool, place in a rigid freezer container and freeze.
- To serve: Thaw in fridge. Reheat on stovetop or in microwave.