Prep 35 mins
Cook 1 hr
I got this recipe out of Good Housekeeping Magazine years ago. It has been a hit every time I make it. Great for any picnic or gathering plain or fancy. Please note that cook time is refrigeration time. Also, this makes 16 main dish servings, but you can slice smaller and serve as an appetizer.
- 1 (6 1/2 ounce) jar sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 (8 ounce) long loaves Italian bread
- 1 lb brie cheese, sliced (with rind left on)
- 4 -6 roma tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup packed fresh basil leaf
- In small bowl, combine dried tomatoes, olive oil and vinegar.
- Cut each loaf of Italian bread horizontally in half.
- Evenly spread dried tomato mixture on cut sides of bread.
- Arrange Brie on bottom halves of both loaves and top with tomato slices and basil leaves.
- Replace tops of loaves.
- Slice each loaf into eight pieces.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Note: I think this sandwich tastes best when allowed to sit in the refrigerator for about an hour or so for all the flavors to blend well.
- Also, I like the sun-dried tomatoes packed in lightly salted olive oil and herbs.
- If you use the unseasoned variety, you may want to lightly salt the tomatoes.
I made this on a much smaller scale, using a mini baguette to make sandwiches for my husband to enjoy while watching sport!!! This really is a decadent sandwich, the sun-dried tomatoes absolutely make it, and fresh tomatoes, brie and basil, you cant go wrong. Definitely a keeper, thank you *That Girl*, a super recipe, made for Alphabet tag game.
I feel so special. This sandwich is a treat for your senses. Not only does it look gorgeous, the aroma of it from the fresh basil and sun-dried tomato mixture had me drooling! Exquisite. I would actually do a twist at a later date and leave the 1/2's separate (open-faced), slice into strips and serve these as an hors d'oeuvres. They are that impressive AND that good! Thanks for sharing *That Girl*. Made for Bargain Basement tag game.