2 hrs 25 mins
1 hr 20 mins
1 hr 5 mins
From "Cook's Country from America's Test Kitchen," episode 110, "Regional Chops." Be sure your chops are truly thick cut, at least 2" thick and evenly butchered. Be sure to use blade chops; other kinds of chops will not have enough fat to stand up to the long cooking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground fennel
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 -4 1/2 lbs thick-cut pork chops, 16-20 ounces each (4 blade chops)
- 1In a small bowl, combine rub ingredients thoroughly.
- 2Lay chops on a plate or baking sheet. Sprinkle with rub on both sides, rubbing into meat. Let rest in refrigerator, covered with plastic wrap, at least 1 hour, or up to 24 hours.
- 3Remove top and bottom of pineapple, and peel. Cut in half and set one half aside for another recipe. Cut in the other half into quarters and cut out core. Cut in 3/4" dice. Transfer to a bowl. Add red pepper, avocado, cilantro and jalapeno.
- 4Stir together sugar and lime juice. Pour over salsa and toss to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chops are ready.
- 5Preheat grill; if using a gas grill, turn one burner on high. Soak 2 cups hickory chips in warm water for at least 15 minutes, then drain. Spread chips on a large sheet of foil. Fold up sides of foil, leaving a 1" square hole in the top. Place packet over primary burner and let heat 15 minutes to generate smoke.
- 6Turn heat down to medium and place chops on the cooler side of grill. Grill 50-60 minutes, turning once, to an internal temperature of 145°F (Thinner chops may need as little as 30 minutes.) Move chops over primary burner for 2 minutes on each side to produce a nice crust. Serve chops with salsa on the side.
Browse Our Top Pineapple Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pineapple Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Double-Thick Pork Chops With Pineapple Salsa
Serving Size: 1 (671 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1105.3
- Calories from Fat 594
- Total Fat 66.1 g
- Saturated Fat 21.1 g
- Cholesterol 303.9 mg
- Sodium 869.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 22.4 g
- Protein 93.8 g