Prep 5 mins
Cook 12 hrs
This recipe is from "What to Expect when you are Expecting" but is a great way to get calcium today....for me, hubby and our four kids....(yep, four so there will be no more pregancy in our house!)
- 1 cup skim milk or 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1⁄3 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 banana, frozen and cut into chunks (overripe)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 dash ground cinnamon (to taste)
- Freeze an overripe banana, peeled and wrapped, 12 to 24 hours before making this shake.
- Puree all the ingredients in a blender. Serve immediately.
- BERRY VARIATION: Add 1/2 cup berries, fresh or unsweetened frozen, and 1 tablespoon frozen apple juice concentrate (thawed) before blending; omit the cinnamon, if desired.
- "CREAMSICLE" VARIATION: Add 2 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate (thawed); omit the cinnamon.
- 1 shake = 2 Calcium servings; 2/3 Protein serving; 1 Other Fruit serving. Berry Variation adds 1 Other Fruit serving, 1 Vitamin C serving if strawberries are used. "Creamsicle" Variation adds 1/2 Vitamin C serving.
When making this, I doubled the recipe for 2 of us & we had a very nice breakfast beverage! Used 2% low-fat milk &, except when making banana bread, we really don't care for the bananas being overly ripe, so . . . Still, with the seasonings used, this was wonderfully tasty! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed in Healthy Choices]