Prep 1 hr 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
I got this recipe from Bon Appetite, with a tweak or two of my own. Comes out fabulous every time!
- 4 cups of 1 inch cubes challah (egg bread)
- 3⁄4 cup plus 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, toasted and broken into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1 cup half-and-half, divided
- 5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup brewed coffee
- lightly sweetened whipped cream
- Toss bread cubes, 1/2 cup chocolate chips and toasted walnuts in large bowl to blend.
- Whisk 1/2 cup cream, 1/2 cup half and half, cocoa and vanilla in heavy medium saucepan to blend.
- Add remaining 3/4 cup chocolate chips; stir over low heat until melted and smooth.
- Gradually whisk in remaining 1/2 cup cream, 1/2 cup half and half and all coffee.
- Whisk eggs, egg yolk and sugar in medium bowl to blend.
- Whisk chocolate cream mixture into egg mixture.
- Stir combined mixtures into bread mixture. Let stand for one hour for bread to absorb some of custard.
- While pudding is standing preheat oven to 325°F.
- Butter a large fluted casserole dish or six ramekins. If using ramekins divide pudding into them.
- Bake puddings until set in centers, about 40 minutes.
- Top warm servings of pudding with whipped cream and serve.