Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Another recipe I've discovered in my quest to find reasons to use oven-dried tomatoes. This was developed in the Chicago Tribune test kitchen.
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped dried tomatoe
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil or 1⁄4 cup cilantro
- 1 pinch ground red pepper or 1 dash hot pepper sauce
- 12 slices thick smoked bacon
- 8 slices sesame semolina bread or 8 slices other firm bread
- 4 leaves lettuce, such as leaf or 4 leaves bibb lettuce
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced thin
- 8 leaves fresh basil or 8 sprigs cilantro
- Mix mayonnaise, dried tomatoes, chopped basil, and ground red pepper in a small bowl.
- Cook bacon in a large skillet or on a foil-lined baking sheet in a 375°F oven until crisp.
- Drain well.
- Spread mayonnaise mixture over one side of each bread slice.
- Top four of the slices with a lettuce leaf; divide tomato slices over lettuce.
- Top lettuce with 3 strips of bacon and 2 basil leaves.
- Cover each with 1 slice bread.
Probably because we both travel for a living, BLT's have become a standard lunch and dinner sandwich in our home. This mayo mixture was good, but I would season with S and P next time.