Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
These are a wonderful addition to a roast, or grilled steak. I got it from Easy Everyday Cooking, and changed it slightly to suit my love for cheese.
- 4 large baking potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream or 1⁄4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- salt and pepper
- Microwave scrubbed and pierced potatoes on high for about 10 minutes. Longer if necessary, especially if you do not have a rotating plate.
- Melt butter , add onion, cook for about 5 minutes, or until just starting to turn tender.
- Slice off potato tops.
- Scoop out potatoes, making sure not to break or pierce the skin. Place pulp in bowl.
- Mash pulp, add onion, 1/2 cup of the cheddar cheese, sour cream, chives, salt and pepper.
- Mix together.
- Spoon mixture evenly into potato skin bowls.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Place in casserole and bake at 350 degrees, for about 10 minutes. Should be thoroughly heated through.
I loved the taste of onion in this. But when I was mashing them it was too thick. I added whole milk maybe 1/4 cup. Even if I used shar cheddar cheese, we though that they were bland a little bit. Something was missing. They are good but for us, they need something more, and a lighter consistency. Thanks Kayne for posting. Made for Holiday tag
There was some dithering here as to whether these potatoes should get four or five stars. Well, I am the cook and I say five. Easy to make, even easier to eat. Instead of onions, I used scallions that were on hand. Made for Pick a Chef. Thanks aussiekarin for another recipe that will be added to my repertoire.